What is DNS, types of resource records and which DNS to choose for a site - DNS from Yandex
DNS has made it possible to use friendly addresses in site names instead of dotted numbers (IP) addresses. Most site owners do not even know about the existence of this system, since the need to configure DNS does not always arise. However, many site parameters depend on this system, including site opening speed ... This article covers what is DNS and related issues.
What is DNS
First of all, DNS is an acronym that stands for Domain Name System. DNS is a domain name system that links domain names to numeric addresses. One way or another, it is used by any sites and resources on the network. DNS is stored on publicly available DNS servers, of which there are a large number of - this ensures fault tolerance of the entire system.
Having learned briefly, what DNS is for , it is important to understand its (or rather its) main functions. DNS provides the ability to specify different types of records, such records are called resource records.
DNS Resource Record Types
Let's take a look at the popular DNS resource record types that most often need to be edited:
- A (address) - address record, sets the correspondence between name and IP-address;
- AAAA (A + 1 + 1 + 1) - allows you to set the address in IPv6 format;
- CNAME (canonical name) - serves to set the canonical name;
- MX (mail exchanger) - allows you to specify the address of the mail gateway for the domain, consists of the priority and the host address;
- NS (authoritative name server) - sets the address of the node that is responsible for the domain zone. This is an essential entry for the functioning of the domain name system itself;
- PTR (pointer) - sets the reverse mapping for A and AAAA;
- SOA (start of authority) - allows you to point to another zone to confirm the authority of the information;
- SRV (service record) - defines the hostname and port number of servers for specific services;
- TXT (text string) - you can specify any text value up to 255 bytes, used for various operations, for example, to confirm ownership of a domain in a service.
The above is only considered the basic types of records that are widely used in practice. In addition to these records, there are other, less important ones.
Which DNS to choose for the site
Many site owners are concerned about the question, which DNS to choose for the site ? When domain registration you need to specify an NS server - a resource that provides DNS functionality. You can use the registrar's DNS to park the domain, but usually the DNS of the purchased hosting is set immediately and the rest of the parameters are already configured there.
However, you can set any DNS, and not use the standard ones. Why change DNS ? Typically, standard DNS offers modest features, so you can switch to advanced DNS. For example, changing DNS can be useful for various operations: when needed make mail for a domain , for faster loading of the site, for more convenient management of records, etc.
DNS from Yandex
You can choose DNS from Yandex - this guarantees fast loading of the site and security. It is enough to delegate the domain to Yandex servers ( dns1.yandex.net, dns2.yandex.net ) and add the site to the domain control panel, after which you can perform any operations with DNS records there. By specifying an NS server, the control of all records is completely transferred to this server. Yandex also has a DNS service for ordinary users (DNS for PCs, routers, routers, etc. - they filter content and protect against threats), which should not be confused with DNS for sites. p>
Thus, we have covered, what DNS is and what it is for . You may also find it helpful to know the types of DNS resource records and which DNS to choose for your site.
- 09.11.23IT / Database Errors when migrating from MySQL 5.6 to 5.7 and how to fix them - database dump import failed with an error or INSERT does not work. Disabling STRICT_TRANS_TABLES strict mode or using IGNORE
- 09.07.22IT / Misc Convert office files DOC, DOCX, DOCM, RTF to DOCX, DOCM, DOC, RTF, PDF, HTML, XML, TXT formats without loss and markup changes
- 07.07.22IT / Safety How to protect PHP, JS, HTML, CSS source code - obfuscation, minification, compression and encryption
- 06.07.22IT / Safety Connection not secure, problem with Lets Encrypt - how to fix expired 09/30/2021 DST Root CA X3, remove it manually and install ISRG Root X1. Example on MS Windows 7
- 08.07.21IT / Misc How to make a free translation for a website without an API, translate documents in Google Translate